Now this type of pizza is a personal favorite of mine, yet it gets so much hate. Personally, I don’t see why as Hawaiian pizza (pizza with pineapple toppings) is the ultimate form of pizza. It’s sweet, it’s savory, it’s just perfect!
I’ve tasted just about any and every Hawaiian pizza I can get my hands on and I wanted to give you the ultimate Hawaiian pizza recipe I could find!
PS. You may be thinking that it’s pizza and hats be unhealthy, well it has Vitamin C. It’s got pepperoni/ham so it’s a good source of protein. AND it has tomatoes, which means it’s a good source of vegetables.
Best Hawaiian Pizza Recipe
Prep time – Approximately 45 minutes
- 1 pizza crust*
- ¾ cups pizza sauce
- 1⁄2 – ¾ cup ham, chopped
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- ¾ to 1 cup crushed pineapple/pineapple bits/pineapple slices
- 3⁄4 cup shredded or diced cheese. You can add different kinds of cheeses as desired, like mozzarella, Monterrey jack or Parmesan)
- ½ tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
*You can make the pizza crust yourself or you could buy it at the supermarket. Honestly, I recommend personally making your own crust if you want the best quality. The following recipe will show you how to prepare a homemade pizza crust.
Pizza Crust – Ingredients and Method
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- A ½ teaspoon salt
- A single cup of very warm water (about 50 °C or 122 °F)
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, vegetable oil or regular olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 3 cups of bread flour – you could also substitute all purpose flour
- Parchment paper sheet, but this is purely optional
Pour the warm water into a bowl with enough space for easy mixing; add the salt, sugar and yeast. Leave it to mix itself for about 10 minutes. Afterwards add the oil and flour and beat/whisk until the mixture is smooth. Place dough on large flat surface, (it’s recommended that the surface itself has flour lightly and evenly sprinkled on it as well to prevent sticking). Knead the dough for about 7 minutes or until evenly flattened.
Now with that out of the way…. let’s move on to the rest of the pizza.
Pizza Filling – Method
- Preheat Oven to 450 degrees. Spread the sauce evenly over the base of the dough. A substitute to other forms of ham is bacon bits. Canadian bacon is usually used in this case.
- Put a small amount of chosen cheese shreddings in to a bowl and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle it as evenly as you can on the pizza dough.
- Repeat that action with the ham, pineapple and onions.
- Add the leftover cheese on the top and spread the mixture as evenly as possible once more.
- Place your pizza on parchment paper or a wooden paddle and put it in the center of the oven.
- Set the timer to 10 minutes. (15 – 20 minutes if the dough is really thick).
- Safely remove and enjoy!
Now, as it’s largely homemade, you can control exactly what you put inside in terms of fats, carbs and overall calories. For instance, if you’re looking for a healthy alternative to normal table salt, you could consider the slightly more exotic Himalayan pink salt, which is rich in minerals essential to your body.
And that’s just about it! Have you tried making this pizza? Leave a comment and share how it turned out!